Jump to a section:
- Is Indica or Sativa Better for Sleep?
- Best Strains for Insomnia
- Best Edibles for Sleep
- Best Vapes for Nighttime
- Best Concentrates for Sleep
- Browse by Cannabis Effect
Insomnia is the absolute worst. There is nothing more unpleasant than tossing and turning, exhausted, while your bedside clock so rudely reminds you how few hours are remaining until wake-up time.
Have you considered weed for insomnia? Forget counting sheep– If you struggle falling asleep or staying asleep, cannabis may be the answer to your bedtime prayers!
What are the best sleep strains and other recommended weed products that have the potential to help you relax and get the 7-8 hours of sleep you need and deserve? Read on to find out!
Is Indica or Sativa Better for Sleep?
You may know that cannabis flower strains are typically divided into two main categories: indica and sativa.
If you are looking for the best weed for sleep, you should narrow your search by focusing on indica flower strains and products that contain indica extracts. While there are definitely exceptions to the rule, in general you can rely on indica strains for relaxation and sativa strains for motivation.
But what is the best indica strain for sleep? And what indica-based weed products do we recommend to ease insomnia?
Related Reading: How to Identify Sativa, Indica, and Hybrid Strains
Best Strains for Insomnia
One way to help your body and mind relax before bed is by smoking the best weed strain for sleep as part of your bedtime routine. Smoking is one of the most fast-acting methods for consuming cannabis. What is the strongest strain for sleep? We know that in general, it’s a good idea to select an indica strain if sleep and relaxation is your goal.
It’s a little more complicated than that though– indicas and sativas can vary in their effects because of the many other components of cannabis that can impact results, including terpenes.
Terpenes are the odorous molecules that give cannabis (and all plants, actually) their distinct aromas. Terpenes are the reason that all cannabis strains have their own unique scent. But terpenes don’t just provide smells– they may also have therapeutic benefits of their own.
So terpene content is another important factor to consider when choosing the best strain for sleep. The best indica for sleep is one that also includes terpenes that ease anxiety and promote rest, such as linalool, myrcene, nerolidol, limonene, pinene, and beta-caryophyllene.
When we look at indica strains and compare terpene profiles, three Illicit strains stand out as some of the best weed strains for sleep. We recommend these strains to help you float off to dreamland:
- Purple Chem – An indica hybrid strain with high levels of limonene, caryophyllene, and pinene, Purple Chem is a favorite recommendation for insomnia sufferers. A cross between Purple Punch and Stardawg, Purple Chem has a big and spicy diesel/grape fragrance. Once Purple Chem’s initial euphoria wears off, you’ll be primed for a good night’s sleep
- Strawberry Float – Featuring limonene, myrcene, and linalool in its terpene profile, Strawberry Float is another potentially sleepy strain from Illicit. Bred from Afghani/Michigan Soda and Cookies & Cream, Strawberry Float buds are thickly coated in terpene-rich THC crystals. This indica’s fruity, yet earthy flavor is as enticing as its calming, anti-anxiety effects. If racing thoughts are keeping you from sleep, Strawberry Float may help quiet them and enable you to drift off
- Hibernate – Named appropriately, Hibernate will help you do just that! Hibernate’s terpene profile includes a heavy dose of sedating nerolidol, as well as limonene and myrcene. With an earthy, spicy, and citrusy fragrance and taste, Hibernate is an indica-dominant hybrid cross between sleepy ancestors Shut Eye and Stardawg. Hibernate is our #1 recommended strain to potentially help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
Best Edibles for Sleep
Edibles are another possible option as the best marijuana for sleep. You may not like smoking or vaping. Or maybe you just prefer the discretion of edibles or the longer duration of their effects. Edibles tend to last longer, but also take longer to take effect, so take your edibles at least an hour before bedtime.
What are the best edibles for sleep? We recommend these indica-based edibles to our sleep-deprived customers:
- Wana Blueberry Sour Gummies or Raspberry Limeade Sour Gummies are both made with an indica extract that is enhanced with calming and sedating terpenes. Their tangy sweet & sour flavors make them a perfect choice for a tasty nightcap.
- Missouri’s Own Edibles Raspberry Gummies are also made with an indica extract to potentially promote rest, while their indica Blackberry 1:1 Gummies contain a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBN. Some studies show that combining CBN with THC can help boost the sedative powers of each.
- Sinse Wild Berry Indica 1:1 FECO Gummies are made with full extract cannabis oil, preserving the rich terpene profile and other plant compounds for synergistic effects. With a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio, these gummies tamp down THC’s potentially anxious effects with the calming properties of CBD.
Best Vapes for Nighttime
Some people turn to vapes when seeking the best weed for sleep. Vaping provides fast-acting effects with no lingering smoky odors. We recommend two great vape cartridge options for those who want the best strains for sleep without the smoke.
Illicit’s Bop Gun Live Resin Cart or Purple Chem Live Resin Cart are both made with live resin, which preserves all the terpenes and cannabinoids of whole plant cannabis– boosting the entourage effect. Bop Gun and Purple Chem are both indica strains with terpene-enhanced sedative effects. Users say these strains make them relaxed and sleepy.
Best Concentrates for Sleep
If you are a more experienced cannabis user with a high tolerance, dabbing a concentrate before bed may be your preferred option as the best pot for sleep.
Shop by Effect with From The Earth
Whether you opt for flower, vapes, edibles, or concentrates to help ease your mind and body into a good night’s rest, From The Earth offers the purest, most potent products at the best price– conveniently organized by their potential effects.
Not sure exactly what you want? Come on in to a dispensary near you in Missouri and chat with our friendly budtenders about your options.
Good night and sleep tight with From The Earth. Check out all of our “Sleepy” cannabis product options, and order online for pickup or delivery!
About the Author:
David Craig is the VP of Marketing for Illicit and From The Earth. Craig has been on the ground floor of developing multiple lifestyle and retail brands in the cannabis, fitness, and entertainment industries from Las Vegas to New York City.