Jump to a section:
- Best Strains for Depression
- Best Mood-Boosting Edibles
- High CBD Products to Ease Anxiety
- Shop by Cannabis Effect
Many folks with depression and anxiety are seeking natural remedies that can help boost mood, calm fears, and help them face the day with a smile on their face. Could cannabis help? Does marijuana increase dopamine? And if so, what type of weed products work best to potentially combat depression symptoms? Read on to find out!
More studies are needed, but preliminary cross-national studies of medical cannabis (MC) patients in the UK, Israel, Canada, Australia, and the US “seem to suggest that MC may help pain, insomnia, depression, and anxiety.”
This is probably due to the interaction of cannabis with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Weed’s interaction with the ECS reduces the release of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), which is a chemical that inhibits dopamine production. When GABA is reduced, dopamine (the happy hormone) can flow freely.
Anecdotal evidence backs these studies– lots of weed users claim that consuming cannabis helps ease their anxious feelings and increases their contentment with life.
Interested in seeing what cannabis can do for you? Keep reading to find out what weed products have the most potential in battling depression.
Best Strains for Depression
When it comes to choosing the right weed strain for depression, it’s important to consider the differences between indica and sativa strains.
In general, indica strains are known for their relaxing and sedating effects, making them a popular choice for individuals seeking relief from anxiety and stress-related symptoms of depression. However, some indica strains are known for their sedative effects, which could worsen sad feelings.
So is sativa good for anxiety and depression? Sativa strains are typically known for their uplifting and energizing effects, which can help combat the feelings of lethargy and low motivation often associated with depression. But some sativa strains could potentially increase anxiety, which causes depression for some.
It’s important to find a balance, so many people prefer hybrid strains when aiming to decrease symptoms of depression.
Another important factor when choosing the best strain of weed for depression is the terpene profile of your selected strain. Look for terpenes whose potential effects include calming anxious feelings, boosting mood, and increasing motivation. These include limonene, caryophyllene, linalool, pinene, and myrcene.
Taking all these things into consideration, below are some strain recommendations for you if you are seeking a natural remedy with the potential to ease depression.
As mentioned above, hybrid strains are most likely the first options you should try when seeking the best strain for depression, due to their balanced effects.
The best hybrid strains for depression contain a rich terpene profile that elicits calm, yet euphoric feelings– such as these cheerful options from Illicit:
- Sherb Cake – This indica-dominant hybrid is a cross between two fruity, uplifting strains: Girl Scout Cookies and Pink Panties. Sherb Cake has a mouthwatering berries & cream flavor and aroma, thanks to its sizable dose of tasty terpenes caryophyllene, limonene, and linalool. Users love Sherb Cake’s relaxed and happy effects.
- Peanut Butter Acai – Tasting like a gourmet PB&J, Peanut Butter Acai is known for its calming high. A cross between Peanut Butter Breath and Acai Gelato, this sweet and nutty strain features myrcene, caryophyllene, and linalool in its soothing terpene profile.
- Animal Star Cookies – Stardawg and Animal Cookies come together to create this strain that’s the best of both worlds– users say its effects are both relaxing and uplifting. Many people also turn to Animal Star Cookies for pain relief. A strong terpene team featuring humulene, limonene, myrcene, linalool, pinene give ASC an earthy sweetness with notes of vanilla.
If you would rather that your flower come pre-rolled into convenient joints, try Illicit’s Strawberry Float Smokos to brighten your day. Indica strain Strawberry Float is said to be a mood and creativity booster and it features happy terpenes limonene, myrcene, and linalool, among others. Smokos pre-rolls feature only perfectly ground and rolled premium strains like Strawberry Float– never shake or schwag.
Do you prefer the discretion and ease of a vape pen? Opt for a terpene-enhanced cartridge like Illicit’s Banana Pie Classy Cart. Boosted by limonene, caryophyllene, and myrcene, this indica cart’s flavor is bananas! And it gives you calming, yet energetic vibes so you can face the day.
Best Mood-Boosting Edibles
Lots of folks prefer not to smoke or vape cannabis. Is this you? Try edibles! Edibles have longer-lasting effects than inhaling cannabis, and their convenience and tasty appeal is helpful for non-smokers.
Microdosing edibles can also be an effective way to reap their benefits while staying alert and focused. When just getting started with edibles, try cutting the serving size in half or even fourths so that you’re starting with a dose of 5 mg or less– even a tiny dose may make a difference! If not, you can always up your dose later. Just make sure you wait at least 90 minutes before eating more since edibles take longer to take effect.
High CBD Products to Ease Anxiety
Lots of people who supplement with cannabis daily prefer to use products that pair THC with CBD. CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid that has been found to be effective against anxiety, and it also helps decrease the paranoid, “too high” feeling that some people experience with THC alone.
- Robhots 10:1 CBD Gummies have ten times the amount of CBD to THC in every gummy– providing a microdose of mood-boosting THC in each gummy along with 10 mg of soothing CBD. Each pack comes with a tasty assortment of flavors including grape, watermelon, and tangerine.
- For fast-acting, calming effects, try vaping an Illicit Classy Cartridge in 1:1 Raspberry Lemonade or 2:1 Juicy Watermelon. These tasty vape carts contain a balanced ratio of CBD to THC, providing potentially cheerful effects while helping you maintain a clear mind.
Shop by Effect with From The Earth
At From The Earth, we have all of these potentially depression-busting products in stock, along with lots more options that might be right for you. Check out our effect-based menus on our website! We have flower, pre-rolls, vapes, edibles, and so many more options that may help you feel:
From The Earth’s customized menus make it so easy to find what you need online for convenient pickup or delivery on your schedule.
Prefer to talk to an expert before you make a purchase? Come on in to a Missouri dispensary near you to discuss your needs with one of our knowledgable budtenders. We look forward to seeing you soon!
About the Author:
David Craig is the VP of Marketing for Illicit and From The Earth. Craig has been on the ground floor of developing multiple lifestyle and retail brands in the cannabis, fitness, and entertainment industries from Las Vegas to New York City.